Thursday, January 13, 2011

Stardust by Neil Gaiman


This past year my mother and her neighbors invited me to join their book club that they were starting.  I had never been in one and wanted to join one so this was perfect.  In February we will be discussing the book of my choosing.  I thought long and hard about what I wanted to bring to the table.  I knew I wanted some sort of fantasy or science fiction since all the books before this were mysteries and chick-books.  I also wanted a love story, because it is after all in February.  I landed on Stardust by Neil Gaiman.  I had seen the movie, loved it, and usually love the book more so I decided to go for it.  I also figured I should read it before making other people read it.

Right away I knew this book was unique.  Whenever I pick up a sci-fi I expect it to be like reading Shadows of the Empire.  I don’t know why, but I do.  This novel however was written in a style that reminded me of Lord of the Rings.  It was written in old English and was filled with romantic undertones.  This somehow made the story seem real and like there really was some far off kingdom.  I was immediately drawn into the book and picked it up whenever I had the chance.   It is a great balance between an easy read and having-to-look-at-the-dictionary-every-5-pages read.

One of the most real parts of the story is the love story between Tristran, Yvaine, and Victoria.  It is the sort of love triangle that we all have seen or been a part of.  I found myself relating to all three at some point or another.  I’ve been in Tristran’s shoes before where I was so convinced I loved someone that I couldn’t see the person I truly loved.  I’ve been in Yvaine’s situation where deep loathing turns to love and Victoria’s position where you don’t realize how much power you have over someone until it all goes wrong.

After I was done reading I looked up what people thought about the movie compared to the book and there were quite the array of answers.  The most interesting reaction to me was that someone thought the book was exactly like the movie.  I am here to tell you that that person did not read the book.  The two could not be more different from one another!  What was a couple pages in the book was half an hour in the movie, what was a sentence in the movie was a chapter in the book!  I like both the movie and the book, but don’t expect them to be in the least bit similar.  Part of the reason I expected the book to read like a sci-fi is because that is how the movie comes off, whereas the book comes off as a classic fantasy. 

All around I felt this was a wonderful and romantic fairytale that I would recommend everyone read.

No comments:

Post a Comment